Islamabad: A massive blaze broke out on Thursday in the children's emergency ward at a government hospital in Lahore, killing at least four children and injuring 21, officials said.
Reports said 17 children were injured in the fire in Services Hospital that was caused due to an electrical short circuit. The injured children are aged between four and six.
Citing Urdu TV channel Dunya, Xinhua said at least 21 children were injured.
Officials said the incident took place around 3.30 p.m., when there were over 30 children and staff members in the ward. Smoke filled the entire ward after the fire.
Witnesses said the situation became worse because the fire was not extinguished in time because of poor fire-fighting facilities in the hospital.
All the injured children have been shifted to the intensive care unit of the hospital.
Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif expressed his condolences to the bereaved families and ordered an immediate inquiry into the incident.