SMS celebrates 20th anniversary today3 years ago
New Delhi: Text Messaging SMS (Short Message services) is successfully celebrating its 20th birth anniversary today. The service, which started on December 3, 1992 has gone through metamorphosis and is now adding new features to it with newer technology introduction.
Now, a click or a touch facility, to convey one’s feelings with their close ones, the users are enjoying great connectivity and freedom with it.
The first SMS was sent from a computer to a mobile phone on December 3, 1992, delivering the message: “Merry Christams”. Since then technological up-gradations and technology changes have brought a remarkable changes in their formats.
In just span of twenty years, the service has become a must for every aware user. Here are some facts related to it, you may find useful and interesting.
– Currently, 4 billion phones are in use that are enabled to send and receive text messages.
– Finland was first to introduce commercial SMS service by Radiolinja, offered to consumers as person-to-person text messaging in 1993.
– Nokia was the first one to offer GSM phone line in 1993 supported user-sending of SMS text messages.
– SMS began at slow growth rate with its customers in 1995 sending only 0.4 messages per GSM customer per month.
Till 2010, 6.1 trillion (193000 SMS per second) SMS text messages were sent.
– A major commercial industry, earning $114.6 billion in 2010.
– In June 2012, Everloop released EverText, first SMS integration compliant with (COPPA) Childrenâ€™s Online Privacy Protection Act.