Four dead during demolition drive in Meerut; 6 still feared to be trapped

Meerut: On Saturday morning, four people were killed after they got buried under the debris of an illegal building in Meerut which was being demolished by the civic authorities.

As per reports, a multi-storey building was demolished by the Cantonment Board authorities during an anti-encroachment drive following which the people who were still living inside it, were buried inside the debris. Four of them were killed whereas three were injured during demolition. The injured have been admitted to a hospital. Bodies of the deceased have been sent for postmortem.

Read:- Taj is top potential backdrops for film in UP

As of now, rescue operations are on as six people are still feared to be trapped in the debris.

Meerut Cantonment Board’s Assistant Engineer, Piyush Gautam, in his statement to a leading daily said, “A prior notice was sent to its occupants to vacate the building as it had been illegally built. The area was marked for demolition and the timing of 3 AM was decided.”

He added, “We even gave three more hours to the occupants to take out their belonging and began the demolition at 6 AM only.”

Read:- Shiv Sena President meets filmmaker Bhansali over Padmavati issue

Officials said that the building was disputed and that HC had given orders to demolish it.

Police complaint has been registered against the officials by the families of the deceased.