Fresh clash in Kashmir, death toll rises to 18, curfew imposed

Srinagar: In a fresh clash between local youths and security forces in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir state today, a youth was killed during the protest of gunning down of Hizbul Mujahideen poster boy Burhan Wani, taking death toll to 18 and left around 200 other injured in the violence.

During the fresh violence, protest between protesters and security forces an 18-years-old youth was critical injured at Newa in Pulwama district on Sunday morning, a police official said.

Read:- CBI detains key accused of PNB fraud case

According to police official, a youth was identified as Irfan Ahmad Malik was rushed to SMHS hospital here but succumbed to his injuries.

Four other persons were also injured in the violent clashes which started yesterday in most parts of Kashmir.

Read:- War is not an option, India must talk with Pak: Mehbooba

The worst hit violence which broke out with the south districts of Pulwama, Anantnag and Kulgam of the Kashmir state.

As per information available till yet, more than 200 persons, including 96 security personnel, were injured in the day long clashes.

The mobs set on fire three police installations, three civil administration offices, the house of a PDP MLA, several vehicles and targeted a BJP office.

Read:- PM’s fellowship scheme to convert brain drain into brain game: Javadekar

Curfew like restrictions continued in many parts of Kashmir valley as precautionary measures for the second day.

The valley remained paralysed and normal life was also affected due to strike called by separatist groups to protest the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen poster boy Burhan Wani.

Some separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, continue to be under house arrest while Mohammad Yasin Malik is also under preventive detention.

Amarnath Yatra also remained suspended, which was suspended from Jammu yesterday.

Read:- SC to deal with Ram Mandir-Babri Masjid case as pure land dispute

Wani, a Hizbul Mujahideen commander, and two others were killed on Friday when security forces retaliated after being fired upon by the trio from a house in which they were hiding.