Uttarakhand Crisis: Rebel MLAs challenge their disqualification in SC

New Delhi: Nine rebel Congress MLAs of Uttarakhand have moved a plea in the Supreme Court, challenging their disqualification from the assembly. The apex court has accepted the plea that was dismissed by the state high court earlier in the day.

The plea is likely to be heard at 12.30 p.m. by a bench of Justic Dipak Mishra and Justice Shiva Kirti Singh.

Read:- CBI seeks reopening of Bofors case after 12 years

Appearing for the MLAs, senior counsel C.A. Sundaram mentioned their plea before a bench headed by Chief Justice T.S. Thakur.

The bench will also hear the plea by the centre seeking modification of Friday’s order directing a principal secretary be present in the Uttarakhand assembly during the voting on the motion of confidence being sought by the ousted chief minister Harish Rawat.

Read:- Congress Insults Non-Gandhi’s, says PM

Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi told the court that the principal secretary has written to the centre that he cannot act as directed by the court because his designation has not been correctly mentioned as he is principal secretary (Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs).

Rohatgi’s plea was opposed by senior counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi and Kapil Sibal, who told the court that the position of principal secretary (Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs) is a non-cadere post and an outsider cannot be allowed to be present in the assembly during its proceedings.

Read:- No relaxation on fire crackers ban: Supreme Court